Thursday, March 16, 2006

Morning Thoughts

Allow me to ramble for a minute as I'm breaking into my coffee. I'm sitting here in my one rinse Rag & Bone jeans, trying to wear the sucker in without wash to get the necessary wrinkles and indigo bleed for an authentic vintage look (it's tough).

Then I'm thinking Am I never going to buy industry washed jeans again?

Despite the growing popularity of distressed jeans that try to convey years of hard labor (in gold mines and stables, not cubicles) factory processes just can't get it to look authentic. The whiskers don't look 3D, the honey combs are in the wrong spots, exaggerated holes, etc. Something's always out of place.

With all that in mind, I pose the question: Is the vintage look really the holy grail of denim design? Look around and you'll see tons of jeans with amazing washes that may be inspired by the vintage look but do not come across as mimicking it (think Diesel* and various Japanese brands).

Don't get me wrong, I'll still try not to spill my coffee. But I'm also on the prowl for interesting washes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think raw or one wash denim is the way to go. you start with the blank slate and let them evolve on their own. the only issue is that it takes forever. and when you're trying to wear in 4-5 different pairs, it seems like it's never going to happen.

currently trying to break in some one-wash sorahikos from 45rpm.

4/05/2006 08:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home