Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Show Off and Tell



The most anticipated book of the year for denim lovers and vintage collectors comes from Michael Harris of Deadgrass. "Jeans of the Old West: A History" is expected to shed light on a number of legendary but little known workwear brands in the late 1800's in San Francisco. From what I have heard so far the publication is slated to become the important ever written on American overalls history given how little even seasoned vintage collectors know about the rare, non-Levi's denim pieces featured in the book.

Harris has been collecting old denim for some years now and to show off the caliber of treasures he will present in his book he sends us some awe-inspiring pictures. First up is what's left of a jean with the pronouncement of "Spring Bottom," though difficult to see, on what appears to be heavy twill pocketing.




In Harris' own words:
"The pant is most of the left side and fragments of the one back pocket. First picture is the stamped pocket bag. The pocket bag at the top says 'celebrated copper riveted.' Below the last phrase it says 'overalls spring bottom pants.'"







I have not yet had the opportunity to thoroughly study vintage Levi's Spring Bottom Pants but Harris's piece does not resemble the Spring Bottoms I have examined before. The garment pattern, construction and seams do not resemble the typically dandyish, flare-legged, and tailored trousers. Perhaps the pocketing print is simply proclaiming that Levi Strauss & Co. makes both overalls AND Spring Bottom Pants? It is difficult to tell from the pictures of this very dirty and aged garment if the denim is run of the mill Spring Bottoms fabric of which the weft yarn is twisted with a goldish brown or other colored yarn. The next time I visit Los Angeles I will be sure to request examining this fantastic piece.



Jeans of the Old West has just been made available from its publisher Schiffer Books and I can't wait to get my copy.

UPDATED 7/22/10: After some deliberation both Harris and I agree these are in fact not Spring Bottom Pants. Corroborating material is expected to come my way but given that these pants have no spring at the bottom they are definitely not SBP's. We are speculating now these are No. 2's. More on that later, perhaps.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Ellen said...

It's really great news for me. It's really amazingly well written article. here. Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!


free online tv

8/03/2010 03:08:00 AM  
Anonymous price per head said...

It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge

5/05/2012 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger Karshivnik said...

Hii,
I Appreciated your blog and nice information about Denim products in Delhi.
Thanks for sharing.

6/08/2014 03:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

https://jeantrade.com/

7/28/2017 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger Ahitra Gaethon said...

I live in Madagascar ( East Africa),and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as I have been going through a problem as seriously as my son found a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and I could not pay the bills, then your surgery went to the bank to borrow and reject me saying that I have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when I was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee, offering loans at affordable interest rate I had no choice but to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, I got a loan of $ 110,000.00 to paid for my son surgery then get myself a comfortable business to help me going as well. I  thank God today is good and you can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to myself that I will mourn aloud in the world of the wonders of God to me through this God fearing lender  Mr Benjamin Breil Lee and I would advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this God-fearing man on lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com   ......  lfdsloans@outlook.com through .. and I want you all to pray for this man for me or Chat with him on whatsapp  +1-989-394-3740 as well.
Thank you

4/03/2020 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Azu Petite said...

Thanks for sharing such useful post
Skinny Petite Jeans

11/06/2021 10:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home